Paraguayans living in rural villages often have to walk long distances to get to the nearest clinic. Treatment beyond what the local nurse or doctor can provide requires hours of travel to the nearest hospital. As a result, many villagers go for years without health care. Our rural initiatives enable villagers to discuss their concerns, understand lab results and receive financial assistance for transportation to a referral hospital.
Additional initiatives include:
- Documentation of family histories
- Assessment of individual needs
- Distribution of toothbrushes and toothpaste
- Provision of literature about basic dental care
- Education for elementary school children about germs and hand washing